Thursday, January 13, 2011

Works in Progress

I've been away from you for months and sincerely hope your New Year is blowing your mind with blessings, progress and options you never imagined would be within your grasp. As for me, a lot is happening quickly, as I prepare in the next few months to graduate with my masters degree in film producing, finish production on two very compelling documentaries, both filmed in New Orleans, and set my schedule to start pre-production on a third film in Maryland.

All films will have Web sites and other information available, regarding when and where you can view the films at festivals throughout the year. Please check out each brief synopsis below of the two films that are in post production. I appreciate your thoughts at newsheels@gmail.com.
                                             
COMING SOON---"The Unlikely Sex Offenders"
"What I really want is somebody to love but I don't think I'll ever have a man, not with what I have to do every year," said 55-year-old, C.S.
What would you do if you had to register as a sex offender for 10 to 15 years or maybe a lifetime because you propositioned someone for a specific sex act? "The Unlikely Sex Offenders" is a film about how hundreds of women and a handful of men in Louisiana are registered as sex offenders because they were prostitutes. The state law requires anyone convicted of the "talking crime" to send out flyers, post an ad in their local newspaper and have their driver's license or state I.D. stamped with "sex offender." In addition to the challenges the women face because of their conviction, the film examines the origin of the law and whether or not lawmakers plan to amend the law.
                                  
COMING SOON---"From Wrong to Right"
"I feel bad because I'm in the eighth grade but it's not going to stop me," said 17-year-old J.M. He attends an alternative high school in New Orleans. If he fails Louisiana's standardized test, he must repeat the eighth grade. In a city where nearly 30,000 students have behavior problems, criminal records and academically function three grades below the national average, J.M. is a teenager the city is trying to save through "The Circle of Courage."
Through the program, ex-felons teach a life skills course at some alternative high schools, where at-risk students reportedly fight teachers, sell drugs or are chronically absent. "From Wrong to Right" examines whether the answer to the problem is ex-felons? Do students like J.M. do better or worse? How do parents feel about the program? What would you do if your child's school put a similar program in place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters