Monday, May 14, 2012

"I Thought It Was Forever" Cast Rewind

It's down to the last few hours of the fundraising campaign to finish "I Thought It Was Forever," a bold documentary about people who were married, until a spouse came out. Please log on to view the trailer and support this film with as little as $10 at; http://www.indiegogo.com/I-Thought-It-Was-Forever?c=home.


Between president Obama's recent statement in support of same-sex marriage and presumptive Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's statement defining marriage as a bond between a man and woman, comes an explosive documentary, "I Thought It Was Forever," gives an in-depth look into the lives of seven people who represent the reportedly silent two million who are too ashamed, afraid and uncomfortable to tell the uncompromised truth about how it feels to be in the middle of two worlds, gay and straight. Here's a look at three candid cast members:
Joy holds up her book "The Straight Up Truth About the Down-Low"
Joy's reunion with her high school sweetheart more than 15 years after their teenage relationship ended lead to the two dating all over again, buying their dream home and getting married. While she saw a second chance at love, a bombshell she never predicted. "When your husband cheats on you with another woman you think to yourself, 'there is still something I can do,' but when it's with another man there's nothing you can do, your mind starts thinking about all of the things he's out their doing with other men," says Joy.

Melissa reflects on the warning signs she dismissed in her 16-year marriage
Melissa is in the middle of an intense legal battle with her now ex-husband whom she alleges abused her mentally and physically. While in their late teens, the two met while working at a retail store in Texas. "I was surprised because he was really shy and when I found out he liked me, I was like 'okay, I'll see where this will go," said Melissa. After dating more than four years, Melissa said yes to the proposal she'd anticipated. "We talked a lot about marriage, so when he asked me, I knew it was going to happen, so I wasn't too surprised." What did surprise Melissa was her ex-husband's double life. 

Carolyn's road to getting to happy after  the end of her 30-year marriage is still a work-in-progress
As a college student during the early '70s Carolyn's excitement about school and romance was understandably giddy. Her focus heavily centered on being a super student but of course, when the opportunity for love and the American dream knocked, Carolyn's answer was yes. "I said yes because I didn't think anyone else would ever ask. Immediately after he asked me, he went into my parent's guest bathroom and threw up," Carolyn says, holding back tears. 

Fast-forward more than 30 years and the retired government employee isolates herself  from society as a result of how her marriage ended but spends hours online helping spouses on both sides of the same-sex secret connect with resources available through "The Straight Spouse Network."

You can find out more about Joy, Melissa, Carolyn and the entire "I Thought It Was Forever" cast at the film's Facebook page at;   https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Movie-I-Thought-It-Was-Forever/266635793379198. In previous editions on this blog, you'll find brief stories about couples who appear in "I Thought It Was Forever."

Feel free to leave a comment about this article with Maniko at NewsHeels@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters